Cyclades Olive oil Museum & Cave «Foros»
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Fairly Easy
Group Size Large Group
EXPERIENCE MORE, EXPLORE ANDROS’ ATTRACTIONS
On this fantastic day tour we visit two of the most important attractions of Andros.
Choose the departure point that suits you the most and get ready for an exciting day.
This sightseeing tour takes you first to the Olive Oil Museum located at the village Ano Pitrofos, which was built in the 16th century and the olive mill was one of its first buildings. Mr. Helmis bought the building in the end of the 1990’s. The house as well as the oil mill had been completely restored to their original state, preserving the same structure, the equipment and all of the house ware found. It is a fine example of a small pre-industrial, animal powered, olive oil producing unit.
With his passionate guiding you learn about the process of oil milling, facts about oil, its quality and classifications. The tour through the rooms as well as the projection of a short video of the first milling after the restoration offers you much more than a simply museum tour.
Next stop is the village Alladinou and the tour starts from the Old stoned bridge with a light walk via an excellent cobbled path (300m) to the Cave.
Mrs. Frosso, the cave’s guide, welcomes us and guides us to the unique atmosphere of the cave, while we listen to stories and fairytales about the cavern.
The cave is an impressive spectacle composed of stalactites, stalagmites, and helictites, hanging rocks, colorful limestone and gour formations. Huge pillars create labyrinthine departments while stalactites and stalagmites decorate the place and reflect their beauty on the ponds of water that are formed on the ground. Different forms of life, completely adjusted to darkness and little food, can be found inside the cave.
You will receive a helmet and a flashlight. For your own comfort, it is advised to wear hiking shoes and carry a long-sleeved top. Temperature inside the cave is 16-17°C.
The tour ends at the meeting point.
- Olive Oil Museum & Cave Foros entrance fee
- English, French, Italian-speaking driver-tour leader
- Transportation by air-conditioned mini van
- Free map and bottle of water
- Gratuities (optional)
Monday & Thursday
- Batsi Monday
- Chora Fresco Thursday
- Batsi Monday 09.45
- Chora Fresco Thursday 09.45
- This tour is not suitable for people with walking difficulties. You have to be able to walk approximately 1/2 hour, at a slow pace, on uneven surfaces and steps
- Children can book when accompanied by an adult
- Please check-in 15 minutes before the tour departs
- For guests from other parts of the island, pick up from their accommodation upon request.
- Meet your group in the morning and, depending on the group size, you’ll travel by either a minivan, a bus or a car.
- For less than three (3) people the sightseeing tour will take place upon request
Transport by 8 seated minivan