Hiking Tour at the watermills of Frousseoi
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Fairly Easy
Group Size Large Group
EXPLORE THE NORTH OF ANDROS
Meet your guide in the morning and get to the north of Andros. This half day hiking tour guides you on the trail of the old mill village of Frousseoi. One can be surprised by the use of water as energy in Andros, considered Cyclades is a dry and windy complex. The water mills of Andros are the clearest proof for the human ability to coexist with the natural environment and use it for their basic needs. A large number of water mills were built in the 19th century and around 1830 there were 137 in operation across the island.
Exploring with an experienced local guide, we walk through this unique ravine between Ammolohos and Palestou. Enjoy this walk along the stream where we meet ruins of watermills along, with homes that operated until the mid- 20th century and were altogether the unique mill village that served the surrounding villages. On today’s expedition we hike a small part of the stream, but enough to admire the architecture and the impressive operating system that supplied water to the water mills. Rest with a light picnic under the trees in lush vegetation, so surprising for a Cycladic island.
At the end of the hike, we go to the nearby beach of Zorgos with real blue crystal water. Swim and rest. Then we go back to the meeting point.
- A guided hiking tour with a local naturalist leader
- English, French, Italian-speaking tour leader
- Snacks and water
- Safety & First Aid equipment
- Transfer back to the meeting points
- Gratuities (optional)
- Pic nic (optional)
Batsi at 08.45
Gavrio at 09.00
Yes (to/from starting point/ending point
- The hikes offer a moderate hike with a maximum of 4-5 hours walk. This tour requires a reasonable physical and mental health on behalf of all participants!
- This tour is not suitable for people with walking difficulties.
- Necessary: long trousers, appropriate shoes and socks, hat and sunscreen.
- Insurance: Participants should be covered by their own personal travel-health insurance prior to the trip. The personal insurance must at least cover medical expenses as well as air rescue and the cost of repatriation. Trekking Andros & Outdoor Activities and Explore Andros are not responsible for any accidents or mishaps directly or indirectly related to the tour. (See Terms & Conditions)
- Children over 9 years old can book when accompanied by an adult.
ANDROS ROUTE HIKING NETWORK:
- The old stone watermills built in the 19th century
- The impressive operating system
- The impressive green scenery along the stream
- Zorgos Beach