Hiking Tour Dipotamata Valley & Upper Castle
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Leisurely
Group Size Large Group
THIS IS DEFINITELY THE MOST POPULAR ROUTE OF THE HIKING NETWORK
Explore this spectacular natural area with our guides and learn about the culture, fauna & flora, take some incredible photos and feel a sense of achievement when you’ve climbed to the top of the “Upper Castle”.
This half day hiking tour is an unforgettable experience in the ecological rich area of the south, where nature is in perfect harmony with mankind and the past is still surprisingly present.
Starting from Chora, we follow the old road leading to Korthi, connecting the two old medieval castles of the island and which was the central agricultural and commercial artery for south-eastern Andros until 1950. Following a well preserved stoned path we make our first stop at Sineti Village to visit the Folklore Museum and rest.
After a short rest we continue towards the entrance of the valley via the main road.
Dipotamata is a small river of extreme natural beauty, about 7 km, crossing a long valley of environmental interest. The natural environment is unspoiled, shelter to a variety of animals and birds. The most important structures of the area are the 22 watermills, which survived in the entire gorge. Our trail continues to the Upper Castle which offers the most breathtaking view of the island. It is situated on an imposing plateau north, at an altitude of 600 meters. The high mountains of the area are steep and give the impression that the rocks spring up at the top. It was the largest medieval city of Andros, but signs of fortification from the Byzantine period have also been found.
Our hike continues to the traditional seamen’s village of Kochylou with an excellent view to Korthi Bay, where we rest with a coffee or refreshment at the old local “kafeneio” of the village.
Then, via a downhill cobbled footpath we end up in Korthi Bay(Yialos).
Don’t forget to bring your swimming suit. A refreshing dive is always the best after a long hike!
Lastly, our hiking tour finishes with a drive back to Chora, where our trip ends at the meeting point.
A guided hiking tour with a local naturalist leader
- English, French, Italian-speaking tour leader
- Snacks and water
- Gratuities (optional)
- Pic nic (optional)
Yes (from the ending point to the meeting point)
Chora – Fresco Juice & Salad Bar 08.45
• The hikes offer a moderate hike with a maximum of 4-5 hours walk. This tour requires a reasonable physical and mental health on behalf of all participants!
• This tour is not suitable for people with walking difficulties.
• Necessary: long trousers, appropriate shoes and socks, hat and sunscreen.
• Insurance: Participants should be covered by their own personal travel-health insurance prior to the trip. The personal insurance must at least cover medical expenses as well as air rescue and the cost of repatriation. Trekking Andros & Outdoor Activities and Explore Andros are not responsible for any accidents or mishaps directly or indirectly related to the tour. (See Terms & Conditions)
• Children over 9 years old can book when accompanied by an adult.
ANDROS ROUTE HIKING NETWORK:
4,5hrs / 3hrs
13 km or 9km
Panoramic view to the west coast and the ancient port of Palaiopolis
Steep mountain slopes with holy-oak, wild olives and seasonal crops
Exceptional cobbled path and unusual rock formations
Watermills of Melida
Visit to the Olive Oil Museum
Taste the dishes of Andros at “Tou Zozef”