Hiking Tour from East to West
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Large Group
LET US TAKE YOU ON A JOURNEY BACK IN TIME
On this guided hiking tour visit the Castle Monastery Panachrados and its fortress architecture. Experience the magnificent scenery of the ancient settlement of Zagora, explore the wooded landscapes and admire magnificent view as you walk along old cobbled trails.
Meet your guide in the morning at the hiking starting point, or get there from one of the meeting points in Andros Town or Batsi Town with our transportation.
The exciting hiking tour starts from the Monastery, where the monks introduce you to the history of this impressive stone building and its spirituality.
Our hike begins through one of the major routes crossing the Mountain Gerakonas connecting the east coast to the west. The beautiful rural landscape unfolds in front of you the agricultural character of the old times, while you experience magnificent view to the country villages Pitrofos, Menites, Lamyra and the capital of the island, Chora.
Among the uniquely beautiful trail, overgrown with oak and mediterranean maple trees your naturalist guide introduces you to the magnificent herbal world of Andros.
We arrive to the chapel of Ag. Triada in Stavropaida, next to Gavrio-Korthi main road and then we start heading south. The downhill trail follows a dry stream for the most part to reach the chapel of St. Georgios. The route ends at a hill peninsula with the impressive remains of city walls, houses, streets and the temple of the settlement of Zagora, dating to Geometric period. The area has been nominated as a zone of absolute protection against modern interventions. Admire the view to the Archipelago!!! After a short rest, we walk for another 1,5 km to reach the main road where our hiking tour ends.
- A guided hiking tour with a local naturalist leader
- English, French, Italian-speaking tour leader
- Snacks and water
- Safety & First Aid equipment
- Gratuities (optional)
- Pic nic (optional)
Chora – Fresco & Salad Bar at 08.30
Yes (to/from starting/ending point)
- The hikes offer a moderate hike with a maximum of 4-5 hours walk. This tour requires a reasonable physical and mental health on behalf of all participants!
- This tour is not suitable for people with walking difficulties.
- Necessary: long trousers, appropriate shoes and socks, hat and sunscreen.
- Insurance: Participants should be covered by their own personal travel-health insurance prior to the trip. The personal insurance must at least cover medical expenses as well as air rescue and the cost of repatriation. Trekking Andros & Outdoor Activities and Explore Andros are not responsible for any accidents or mishaps directly or indirectly related to the tour. (See Terms & Conditions)
- Please check-in 15 minutes before the tour departs. Why not come earlier and enjoy a Fresh juice at our Fresco Bar (incl. WiFi and WC)
- Children over 9 years old can book when accompanied by an adult
ANDROS ROUTE HIKING NETWORK:
Exceptional cobbled path and unusual rock formations
Zagora Ancient Settlement