Hiking Tour from Frousseoi to Gavrio
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Strenuous
Group Size Large Group
AN EXTREMELY DIVERSE SCENERY
Meet your guide in the morning and get to the north of Andros. This half day hiking tour guides you on the trail of the old mill village of Frousseoi. One can be surprised by the use of water as energy in Andros, considered Cyclades is a dry and windy complex. The water mills of Andros are the clearest proof for the human ability to coexist with the natural environment and use it for their basic needs. A large number of water mills were built in the 19th century and around 1830 there were 137 in operation across the island.
Exploring with an experienced local guide, we walk through this unique ravine between Ammolohos and Palestou. Enjoy this walk along the stream where we meet ruins of watermills along, with homes that operated until the mid- 20th century and were altogether the unique mill village that served the surrounding villages.
On this long hiking tour you admire not only the impressive stone buildings along the stream but also the varied scenery as we continue to Amolochos. The village was the largest of NorthernAndros during the Ottoman domination. Crossing the high slopes of Gavrio and with magnificent view to the port and the sea, our hiking tour ends at Gavrio.
- A guided hiking tour with a local naturalist leader
- English French Italian-speaking tour leader
- Snacks and water
- Safety & First Aid equipment
- Gratuities (optional)
- Pic nic (optional)
Gavrio at 08.30
Yes (to Starting Point)
- he hikes offer a moderate hike with a maximum of 4-5 hours walk. This tour requires a reasonable physical and mental health on behalf of all participants!
- This tour is not suitable for people with walking difficulties.
- Necessary: long trousers, appropriate shoes and socks, hat and sunscreen.
- Insurance: Participants should be covered by their own personal travel-health insurance prior to the trip. The personal insurance must at least cover medical expenses as well as air rescue and the cost of repatriation. Trekking Andros & Outdoor Activities and Explore Andros are not responsible for any accidents or mishaps directly or indirectly related to the tour. (See Terms & Conditions)
- Children over 9 years old can book when accompanied by an adult
ANDROS ROUTE HIKING NETWORK:
- The old stone watermills built in the 19th century
- The impressive operating system
- The impressive green scenery along the stream
- Stone bridges and small churches
- Giannoulis Tower in Amolochos
- Beautiful views to the sea and the port