Hiking Tour to Achla Valley & Beach
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Large Group
BLESSED WITH VERDANT VEGETATION AND FLOWING STREAMS
This exciting hiking tour starts from the remote village «Vourkoti». Meet your guide in the morning and get to the authentic rural village with the highest altitude in the Cyclades (620m). The hiking route moves parallel to the slope that borders the long valley of Achla from the north. With your local naturalist guide you learn all about the rich flora as we descend, gradually to the river, which springs from Zenios and from a narrow path we pass to the opposite side crossing the beautiful old stone bridge. After a short break at the small waterfalls to enjoy the surrounding, we continue our hike to the historical Monastery of St. Nicholas.
We visit the monastery and then, after filling our spouts with fresh water from the source, the guide leads you back on a path heading north and to the valley and the river again, a nature conservation area, the most important of Andros. The river is drowned by dense forest of plane trees and wrecks. The shady walk across the riverbed leads us to the beach. A virgin sandy beach with dunes and caves, where the estuary forms a small lagoon. This important area for the biodiversity of the island hosts migratory and other birds. A zone of absolute protection! Time for swim and a light picnic.
If the weather permits it, we sail to Chora by boat and then we get to the meeting point. If not, choose one of the following:
- Walk back another 5km to Agios Nicolaos Monastery.
- Get to the meeting point by jeep cars. (with an extra cost)
For those who wish to walk less there is an alternative starting point. Get a pick up from Chora or meet your guide and the rest of the group at St.Nikolaos Monastery. Hiking route distance 6km to Achla beach. For your way back please look at the above program.
- A guided hiking tour with a local naturalist leader
- English, French, Italian-speaking tour leader
- Snacks and water
- Safety & First Aid equipmen
- Gratuities (optional)
- Pic nic (optional)
Vourkoti or Saint Nicolaos Monastery
Achla Beach or Saint Nicolaos Monastery
Chora – Fresco Juice & Salad Bar at 09.00
Yes (to/from starting/ending point)
- The hikes offer a moderate hike with a maximum of 4-5 hours walk. This tour requires a reasonable physical and mental health on behalf of all participants!
- This tour is not suitable for people with walking difficulties.
- Necessary: long trousers, appropriate shoes and socks, hat and sunscreen.
- Insurance: Participants should be covered by their own personal travel-health insurance prior to the trip. The personal insurance must at least cover medical expenses as well as air rescue and the cost of repatriation. Trekking Andros & Outdoor Activities and Explore Andros are not responsible for any accidents or mishaps directly or indirectly related to the tour. (See Terms & Conditions)
- Please check-in 15 minutes before the tour departs. Why not come earlier and enjoy a Fresh juice at our Fresco Bar (incl. WiFi and WC)
- Children over 9 years old can book when accompanied by an adult.
ANDROS ROUTE HIKING NETWORK:
- The valley of Achla and the river
- The stone arched bridge
- The St.Nicolas Monastery
- Achla Beach
- Boat Trip