Hiking Tour to Palaiopoli Waterfalls and Pitrofos
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Strenuous
Group Size Medium Group
MANMADE WORKS OF ART BY STONE, HARMONIOUS TO THE ENVIRONMENT
Meet your guide in the morning at your meeting point in Batsi and join one of the most interesting hikes of Andros with splendid view to the sea, reaching the high mountain of Kouvara. Listen to stories and legends from our guides with a deep local knowledge and let us take you on a journey back in time following the old Venetian footsteps.
With this exciting half day hiking experience we follow the old path which connected south west Andros to the central villages and Chora, the so-called “Ample Way” (Fardia Strata). Starting from Batsi with panoramic view to the west coast we head to Paleopolis for a first stop. The route crosses steep mountain slopes with holy-oak, wild olives and seasonal crops. The shady stoned-path, which has a wonderful view of the sea, passes springs, stone water tanks, old farmhouses, unusual rock formations and two waterfalls, flowing down the steep hills of Kouvara, impressively appearing through the dense plantation of Paleopolis. The main route then turns north-east, passing above the Melida watermills and leading towards Ano Pitrofos through a rocky landscape. We make a worthwhile stop to visit the Cyclades’ Olive Museum, a renovated olive press. Our route continues through the picturesque village of Pitrofos to end at the local tavern “Tou Zozef” with special dishes of Andros.
*If you wish to hike less then choose to start from Ano Aprovato, and experience a 9km walk. Meet the rest of the group in front of the “Balcony of the Aegean” restaurant. Check for details on your BOOK NOW form.
- A guided hiking tour with a local naturalist leader.
- English, French, Italian-speaking tour leader.
- Visit Olive Oil Museum.
- Snacks and water.
- Safety & First Aid equipment.
- Transfer back to the meeting point.
Batsi or Ano Aprovato
Chora – Fresco Juice & Salad Bar 08.45
From the ending point to the meeting point.
• The hikes offer a moderate hike with a maximum of 4-5 hours walk. This tour requires a reasonable physical and mental health on behalf of all participants!
• This tour is not suitable for people with walking difficulties.
• Necessary: long trousers, appropriate shoes and socks, hat and sunscreen.
• Insurance: Participants should be covered by their own personal travel-health insurance prior to the trip. The personal insurance must at least cover medical expenses as well as air rescue and the cost of repatriation. Trekking Andros & Outdoor Activities and Explore Andros are not responsible for any accidents or mishaps directly or indirectly related to the tour. (See Terms & Conditions)
• Children over 9 years old can book when accompanied by an adult.
ANDROS ROUTE HIKING NETWORK:
4,5hrs / 3hrs (Depending on the starting point you choose)
13 km or 9km (Depending on the starting point you choose)
- Panoramic view to the west coast and the ancient port of Palaiopolis
- Steep mountain slopes with holy-oak, wild olives and seasonal crops
- Exceptional cobbled path and unusual rock formations
- Palaiopoli waterfalls
- Watermills of Melida
- Visit to the Olive Oil Museum
- Taste the dishes of Andros at “Tou Zozef”